Skip to main content

Lucky sunny stars

I am convinced that I was born under some really lucky stars on 1983. There has been one thing that has followed me my whole life and that thing is The Sun ( no, not the magazine, but the actual yellow shining thing on the sky, you know, that sun).

The old logo of Naantali

I was born in Naantali, also called the sunny town of Finland. So apparently there is a lot of sun, though it's not that special, the typical cold boring Finnish weather is still there. But we could say it propably has a bit more sun then normally. Well lucky me, everything was in order once I came around, because the same sun seems to be following me wherever I go.

In 2003 I moved to Tohmajärvi, a small village near the boarder with Russia. I must say it is around 700 kilometers from Naantali, so I took quite a leap. I didn't check the sun conditions before my settling in Tohmajärvi, but pretty soon I realized it had an abnormal amount of sun also. Great! The sun was on my side, again. It also had really nice people, very talkative though which felt a bit weird in the beginning, but I got use to it after some time. And some very famous people of Finland have come from Tohmajärvi. Maybe the sun brings also other good things in life, not only the weather conditions.

Seppo Räty. The hero of Tohmajärvi.

After Tohmajärvi I went to Zambia. Well, I guess no explanations needed. It was sunny, for sure. And I loved it, for real.

Zambia times

After Zambia I have been around, Italy, Spain, Sri Lanka.. Always enjoying the sun. I think in Finland it's not easy to find such sunny places that I have found. Considering Scandinavia, I read one day that for example in Bergen in Norway it rains approximately every two days out of three, imagine... Once it even rained 80 days straight there!
But lucky me, again, I am now in Noormarkku. And yet I have found another sunny place that this time comes with the peacefulness of easy countryside life.

Noormarkku River.

I was born under some lucky sunny stars indeed. More sun will be coming soon, the adventure number one is getting closer :) And I know those lame countdowns sound quite boring, but I am giving it a try..

30 days to go!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Preparing for Malawi

Well, time is running and my "to do list" is still quite long. The good news is that my flights to Malawi have been confirmed and I will be flying out on the 4th of February. So there is less than 3 weeks to go which at times brings a slight "panic related feelings" but calms down fast after realizing that 3 weeks is plenty of time to get everything sorted out. Autumn time passed fast with all the training we had to do with VSO. It seemed a lot in the beginning and I was wondering how am I going to survive all those studies both in England and online. If you come with an academic background it must be not that bad at all. But if you come with less studying background like I did it really seems like a whole lot of work to do, with lots of paper work, lots of big issues packed with big words! But now when I look back at it all it's been amazing times, have learned so much, enjoyed the conversations with other volunteers and had so much fun too! And I am happy that

From home and work

Greetings from Mzuzu, the capital of Northern Malawi! I am writing this with a candle light in our dining room. The power cuts are everyday and normally come around 6pm lasting about 1 to 4 hours. First few times are surprising but by now we are already use to them and basically the only way to be prepared is to have a good set of candles available for those times. Though when it happens you are always in the other side of the house from the matches and flashlights.. Our house So after having to spend some extra time in Lilongwe we finally made it to our new home. When thinking about it now it was actually a very good thing because we had time to settle and get to know the town before we started to work. We arrived last Thursday and mainly spend the weekend cleaning and setting up the house. We were really lucky to get a wide range of kitchen equipment from some previous volunteers so we didn´t have to spend a lot of money on those. We are still missing quite a lot of furniture since t

Tomorrow..

All my bags are packed I´m ready to go... Well, about being ready I am not so sure about, can you ever really be ready to leave and live in another country for 2 years? I don´t think so. But at least my bags are ready so that leaves me some time to relax for tonight. I think I have left so many times already from one place to another that the whole thing about leaving and saying goodbye is easy for me. I always wanted to go back to Africa and haven´t really realized yet that I will actually be there on Sunday but I am sure it will be such a lovely feeling to land my feet back to the true African ground. And I love these moments where you can start a whole new page in the book of your life! I have really enjoyed the last pages and will probably stay on the same chapter still, just adding more adventures to this page. You might know that I have never really settled anywhere. Becoming older sometimes gives me the feeling that I should consider settling more but now at the moment of one mo