Skip to main content

Looking back and thinking forward

So, my first year in Malawi has gone and new one started. It was quite a roller coaster now that I look back to it. We came on February and very fast I got to know the slow malawian time while trying to work on my motorbike driving  license in Lilongwe. Former president Bingu died in early April and soon Joyce Banda took over. Then came devaluation of kwacha which is affecting our lives up to today. In the middle of this hustle of politics and forex we kept on doing our work, oh, when we had fuel of course, never forget the fuel issues.

I tried to gather some figures from last year showing us how many farmers we have reached, how many cows there are around and what progress can we see in the dairy industry in the North Malawi.

  • We reached almost 400 farmers last year during our trainings and farm visits but we must bare in mind that these are only the farmers that we met directly. When we start to count how many did they pass on the knowledge to we can easily double the amount of beneficiaries of our work. 
  • The number of cows is increasing slowly. Our misfortune last year was the amount of bull calves which seemed to be born in all milk bulking groups. Bull calves are normally just raised for meat but some good ones we have kept for breeding.
  • Mzuzu area farmers have a hunger for knowledge and that has made our work very easy. They are open for new ideas and willing to learn and put effort on their work. Must say, they are one bunch of hard working people and great to work with. 
I am looking forward for the new year and hopefully we will double the amount of farmers that we can reach since we have fuel now as long as JB will keep those tanks coming to North also. 

Chona and Blue are saying Hi too!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good work Milla
Leif G said…
Hyvin kirjoitettu. Had some real milk for my coffee here in Sri Lanka for the first time.

Popular posts from this blog

Tomorrow..

All my bags are packed I´m ready to go... Well, about being ready I am not so sure about, can you ever really be ready to leave and live in another country for 2 years? I don´t think so. But at least my bags are ready so that leaves me some time to relax for tonight. I think I have left so many times already from one place to another that the whole thing about leaving and saying goodbye is easy for me. I always wanted to go back to Africa and haven´t really realized yet that I will actually be there on Sunday but I am sure it will be such a lovely feeling to land my feet back to the true African ground. And I love these moments where you can start a whole new page in the book of your life! I have really enjoyed the last pages and will probably stay on the same chapter still, just adding more adventures to this page. You might know that I have never really settled anywhere. Becoming older sometimes gives me the feeling that I should consider settling more but now at the moment of one mo

Preparing for Malawi

Well, time is running and my "to do list" is still quite long. The good news is that my flights to Malawi have been confirmed and I will be flying out on the 4th of February. So there is less than 3 weeks to go which at times brings a slight "panic related feelings" but calms down fast after realizing that 3 weeks is plenty of time to get everything sorted out. Autumn time passed fast with all the training we had to do with VSO. It seemed a lot in the beginning and I was wondering how am I going to survive all those studies both in England and online. If you come with an academic background it must be not that bad at all. But if you come with less studying background like I did it really seems like a whole lot of work to do, with lots of paper work, lots of big issues packed with big words! But now when I look back at it all it's been amazing times, have learned so much, enjoyed the conversations with other volunteers and had so much fun too! And I am happy that

From home and work

Greetings from Mzuzu, the capital of Northern Malawi! I am writing this with a candle light in our dining room. The power cuts are everyday and normally come around 6pm lasting about 1 to 4 hours. First few times are surprising but by now we are already use to them and basically the only way to be prepared is to have a good set of candles available for those times. Though when it happens you are always in the other side of the house from the matches and flashlights.. Our house So after having to spend some extra time in Lilongwe we finally made it to our new home. When thinking about it now it was actually a very good thing because we had time to settle and get to know the town before we started to work. We arrived last Thursday and mainly spend the weekend cleaning and setting up the house. We were really lucky to get a wide range of kitchen equipment from some previous volunteers so we didn´t have to spend a lot of money on those. We are still missing quite a lot of furniture since t